What are the Best Stretches for Tight hip Flexors?
A healthy hip flexor means active you. A tightened hip flexor would limit your body activities making it prone to injuries, weakness and lot of pain. A good hip flexor stretch would see to it that your hip muscles stay loose and healthy. Sportsmen and athletes too need to have a strong hip flexor for great foot placement and posture.
An article on Harvard Medical school tells about the benefits and why it is essential to imbibe stretching into our daily life.
Best stretches for tight hip flexors
Let us see some of the best stretches which would keep your hip flexors and glutes strong and also loosen up the flexors. You can even do some in the office or while on the chair.
Foam roller stretch
in this stretch you lie down on your stomach with the foam roller a bit below your right hip
- Bring the left leg to the side with the knee bent at a 90-degree angle
- Let your arm provide support to the body weight by placing it in front of you
- Stretch the right leg straight with the foot on the floor
- Slowly begin to move back and forth for 20 to 30 seconds
- While in the movement you will find the trigger point or points. Once found focus on those tight areas to relieve some of the tightness
- Now switch to the left leg
Kneeling hip flexor stretch
An easy daily stretch for loosening the hip flexor
- Kneel down on the right knee with the left foot flat on the floor at an angle of 90 degree
- Move your hip forward with a straight back and forward-leaning the torso
- Repeat the process for a couple of times kneeling each leg while extending the stretch
This really stretches your hip and if done regularly would improve hip mobility and strengthen the glutes.
- Start with a tabletop position like that as an infant on both its arms and knees.
- Now bring your right knee forward and behind your right wrist
- Your right ankle should be placed in front of your left hip
- Now stretch straight your left leg with your left toe straight up
- Now gently lower your upper body while your hips are square
- Stay in the lying position for 10 seconds
- Then raise your body with your arms and bend your left leg and back to starting position
- Change legs
Besides being a good hip flexor stretch it also warms up the body.
- You need to begin with the push-up position
- Then step forward the left foot outside the left hand as if mountain climbing
- Now stretch the hips forward and stay for two seconds before going back
- Do the same stretch with the left leg five times
- Now change the leg
- Allow three reps for each leg
This is a good stretch after a long seated session and easy as well.
- Sit on the floor and bring the soles of your feet together and the heels close to your body as much as possible
- Lean forward with your back straight while pushing the knees towards the floor
- You can use your elbows to push further down if required
- Hold the stretch for 30 seconds
The stretch looks like a butterfly flapping its wings, here is the video:
Horizontal squat stretch
A great hip stretch which also loosens your back muscles.
- Place both your knees and elbows on the floor
- Distant your knees from each other as much as you can
- Bring down your upper body while your hip going backwards while the spine remaining straight
- Hold the position for 60 seconds before recoiling
This is very beneficial for improving hip mobility and strengthening lower back.
- Lie on your back with your arms on the sides, knees bent and feet flat on the floor
- Now lift the backside until it is straight from your shoulders to the bent knees
- Stabilize the body with the glutes with firm heels
- Stay in the position for two seconds before lowering and repeat
A great and simple stretch while remaining on the chair or a seated position
- Keep your back straight while being seated
- Bring your right ankle on your left knee
- Lean forward and hold the position for 60 seconds
- Now change the leg
These stretches would help you a lot, and your hips would thank you after an hour of sedentary position or before and after the workout. Stay healthy and mobile with a strong hip flexor.